Facebook is increasingly becoming the next Google with over 200 million active users and growing.
Facebook has even managed to push out Google as the top visited website according to Hitwise. What this means to small business owners is that they should be finding ways to use it as a marketing channel to bring in more targeted customers. After all, feeding our families means growing our businesses, and politely and authentically getting a message or offering out to the masses. Finding ways to add value to the lives of other people is usually the most effective method.
Modern day computer cave men are evolving into savvy social networkers. In the old days, we networked around log fires or at the saloon, in the coffee shops or in networking groups. The majority of modern day networking is happening on social sites such as Facebook and Twitter. Did you know that the fastest growing demographic on Facebook is 40-60 years old?
Here are some staggering Facebook statistics:
- More than 500 million active users
- 50% of our active users log on to Facebook in any given day
- Average user has 130 friends
- People spend over 700 billion minutes per month on Facebook
- There are over 900 million objects that people interact with (pages, groups, events and community pages)
- Average user is connected to 80 community pages, groups and events
- Average user creates 90 pieces of content each month
- More than 30 billion pieces of content (web links, news stories, blog posts, notes, photo albums, etc.) shared each month.
- More than 70 translations available on the site
- About 70% of Facebook users are outside the United States
- Over 300,000 users helped translate the site through the translations application
- Entrepreneurs and developers from more than 190 countries build with Facebook Platform
- People on Facebook install 20 million applications every day
- Every month, more than 250 million people engage with Facebook on external websites
- Since social plugins launched in April 2010, an average of 10,000 new websites integrate with Facebook every day
- More than 2.5 million websites have integrated with Facebook, including over 80 of comScore’s U.S. Top 100 websites and over half of comScore’s Global Top 100 websites
- There are more than 200 million active users currently accessing Facebook through their mobile devices.
- People that use Facebook on their mobile devices are twice as active on Facebook than non-mobile users.
- There are more than 200 mobile operators in 60 countries working to deploy and promote Facebook mobile products
How many times have you opened your Facebook and been shocked by an old friend who suddenly came from out of the woodwork and wanted to be friends again. It’s not an uncommon experience.
Worse yet, the friend starts posting all kinds of pictures from your college days. Facebook, like it or not, is bringing more and more transparency to our lives, and it is becoming increasingly important to know how to manage your Facebook profile.
Facebook is indeed growing and becoming an important part of most organization’s marketing efforts. By investing some time into learning about Facebook SEO you can start developing the right framework for your Facebook fan page that will bring you more traffic and increased brand awareness.
As Facebook becomes a bigger part of small business owners’ marketing efforts, it’s important that you’re taking the proper steps to give these accounts as much SEO power as you can. Often with a few little tweaks you can create a page that both the users and the engines will love.
Live in Santa Barbara, CA? Join us at The Eagle Inn tonight for a discussion of “How To Use Facebook Like An SEO Consultant”
All attendees will get free tickets to the opening season game of the Santa Barbara Breakers professional basketball team.
Founder / SEO Expert